Sunday, July 10, 2011

Balanchine style

the middle girl is sofiane sylve who taught us last week, and the right girl is sarah van patten, who took class with us yesterday!
The thing I love about the San Francisco ballet program is how they are so focused on diversity.  Even though they train classically, they also mix in the more expressive, extreme Balanchine style.  I'm not an expert on the many different ballet curriculums, but I know that I have been trained mostly in the ABT (American Ballet Theater) style.  Many of my teachers encouraged training in only the one style, because they thought it was important to maintain consistency and also because ABT training is supposed to be anatomically correct...  But instead of adhering to the rules of one school of thought, the San Francisco ballet seems to promote an acceptance of all styles.  There are instructors who prefer the classical and others who lean towards Balanchine.  I think it's great to be open to the other techniques.  I understand why many teachers want to maintain focus on one style, but for this summer I am happy to get a taste of Balanchine( even though Balanchine classes are so hard for me!) I think that all the styles of ballet are beautiful, and so far this intensive has made me appreciate all equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment