Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fisherman's wharf/pier 39/Ghirardelli Square

The ballet program is so intense for me because I'm not used to so much pointe work! Its fantastic and I feel like I've already gotten a lot out of the program.

But I've been too tired/lazy to post anything so I'm behind on my posting- here's some cool, touristy stuff I did last weekend that I thought was worth sharing.

We took a "bay cruise" tour that took us around all the famous landmarks- the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, Angel Island...It was a rare sunny day so it was really beautiful.  I never understood why the GOLDEN Gate Bridge was red...but seeing Alcatraz made me want to go back and check it out! I know it's kind of creepy that some torture chamber prison is now a huge tourist attraction, but its so cool!

Afterwards we wandered around the Pier 39/ Fisherman's Wharf area. Even thought it's really crowded, the area is actually really charming.  And there's a Boudin bakery that smells AMAZING...I think sourdough is a San Francisco thing??? I actually got lunch at this cute little shack called "Tish's Dishes" - huge sourdough bread bowl and clam chowder that I devoured...yummy.

oh yeah artsy shot from my cameraphone
And to finish off the busy Sunday, we walked to Ghirardelli Square.  It's only a couple blocks away from the Fisherman's Wharf area.  Definitely worth visiting! Firstly because the whole place smells like chocolate.  Theres a couple big Ghirardelli gift shops full of those little chocolate squares, and they hand out whole squares as samples (free samples are always fun).  And theres a really delicious ice cream parlor where they make all these super fancy sundaes and stuff that are 500 calories a lick (100 if you look at it)...but REALLY expensive! I shared a single scoop of chocolate ice cream with my sister and it cost me almost 4 dollars! It was worth it though- so rich and chocolatey.  As you can see I had a whole day of eating last Sunday...
cool mermaid fountain in ghiradelli square



doesnt sound too authentic japanese does it?



 Here's a couple pictures from Fisherman's Wharf- I'm obsessed with mermaids so I thought the mermaid bar sign was really cool and the "flying ninja sushi" just needed to be documented...

No comments:

Post a Comment