Thursday, June 23, 2011

vintage clothes


I spend hours with my cousins and my sisters trying on our grandma's old clothes.  It is absolutely hilarious to see what people wore "back in the day".  Shoulder pads are the best! They look like a football player. And high waisted jeans are great too.  I love the 80's; I want the 80's to come back!

Going through my grandma's closet is always fun.  My grandmother was probably one of my favorite people in the world. She was the most hilarious and glamorous grandmother I could ever imagine. She was also a shopaholic. I think living through the Great Depression made her appreciate material possessions more.  And food.  She used to tell us that she and her 11 other siblings used to scrounge for bits of tar to chew on for lack of sustenance.  Well, in the time I knew her, she was certainly prepared with enough food to last through a several depressions.  She kept stashes of stale or expired food all over her kitchen, and when criticized she would explain plainly, "when the famine comes, you'll all be coming to me for food".  She was the same way with clothes.  I have countless fond memories of shopping with her, in which, after spoiling me and my siblings with presents, she would spend hours searching for the best pair of white socks in a pile of a hundred identical pairs, or buying multiples of the same perfect blouse.  So usually if we find something in her closet, there's a twin somewhere!

She used to tell me about how she went on dates almost every night (before she met my grandpa), and how she would go home and sew a different dress before each date!  I desperately wish that she kept all of them...

Although the date night dresses are missing, her closet is stuffed with clothes.  I honestly don't know how one woman could have worn so many clothes.

I wear her clothes to school all the time, and I always get so excited when people comment on them.  Vintage clothes are a blast.







No comments:

Post a Comment